Thursday, October 13, 2011

Why I do not support Anna


I am a hardworking as well as smart working Human Resources professional with the leading construction giant which has constructed various resplendent construction units. My business involves attracting talents, recruiting them, provide adequate and appropriate training, allocate them according to various business needs, measure their performance, take necessary action items about the employee welfare & initiate various Organizational initiatives on corporate level and Business units level.

I relate to Anna hazare and his valiant efforts. However, Anna fails to impress me. This is why:

Intent

The intent of Anna Hazare’s mission confuses me firstly. Is it to end corruption or to insert his own bill in the Indian government system, or both?

Is this ‘intent’ really worth the brouhaha? Ending corruption is like ending prostitution, Noble in intent but impossible in execution. I’m not ‘for’ corruption. I’m questioning if a struggling, underdeveloped country like ours needs to focus more on eradicating poverty, illiteracy, communal riots, rather than struggling to cure a disease called corruption; which sometimes hurts but does not kill? If only I could come to a conclusion that not even a single person on the government system wouldn’t had been a part of corruption, say for even an Rs 100. In that case predominantly (read all) they have to be imprisoned and I bet we don’t have that much space in our prisons; apparently we need to create another country to imprison them.

Method

I don’t appreciate mass agitation; let’s hold the government and country to ransom method. Isn’t this movement wrongly educating Indian ’influencers’ that they can paralyze everyday routine in their interest of cause? Also, shouldn’t that approach be to solve one tangible issue at one time? Say, if it’s corruption at the Octroi Naka in Mumbai, then let everyone get together and just eradicate that one problem. If that is successfully resolved then we leap onto the next one. For that matter of fact, consider the CAG spoilsport by Kalmadi & the King of all scams the 2G spectrum -Himalayan Corruption; I don’t even want to comment on it.

Promise

What will Indian citizens like me really get at the end of this? Another bagful of promises from the government? Or a real tangible end result? UNICEF promised to erase polio off the country and they are systematically doing so year after year (less than 10 cases reported in India this year). Promise me something realistic and make that happen. Then I will buy from you next time also. And please I don’t want any of your free hens, goats, fancy televisions sets & even Laptops for that matter. The max I can do with those hens & goats is I can play FARMVILLE in reality.

Scalable

Anything that creates massive value (monetary or social) has an infinitely scalable DNA. It’s like a movement developing a life of its own, that propels itself towards, fulfilling its cause. I do not see ‘disruptive’, pressure-tactic movements and missions being scalable. On the contrary, they deflate quickly and self-destruct.

Sociality

Honestly, the more I look at the current Anna Hazare movement, the more it looks like a ‘social’ rock concert. Indians celebrating rebellion more than the cause for which they assembled. I bet that less than 10% of the youngsters rallying don’t even know what the Lok Pal Bill is – leave alone what’s inside it. One of my childhood teachers (Mrs. Rita Srinivasan) who currently resides in Singapore told me that a guy wearing an Anna hazare supporting Tee-shirt was found violating the traffic rules and littering. High time people consider that before pointing out and accusing about a certain issue, they have some personal discipline /ethics/etiquettes/manners/empathy & courtesy.

Also, given that this event takes law and order in its own hands, is this mission what we want young Indians to emulate? Is this the place where our youth should gain their first ‘social’ experience?

End goal

Every movement, every business, every mission has an end goal. In Anna Hazare’s case, what I see is a loosely hanging, ‘in-the-air’ movement. It seems to drift, gather steam and then dissipate again. What exactly is the end goal? Is it just to get some Bill passed into the Indian Government system? That’s it? What after that?

Anna Hazare has to realize that what he did 50 years ago is past. He should be motivating Indians to attack real social matters with their brains and not with their SLOGANS & STOMACHS.

And if you still ask me why am I supporting Anna Hazare? It’s simply if I don’t support nothing big certainly going to happen and vice versa. At least I am for something and not for corruption.

Am I making myself clear????

God Bless!

By

Rathish Saravanan M

Knot & statistics courtesy : ET